Seven Basic Holy Cross Premises
These were created by our founding members in conjunction with our first Vestry:
1. Holy Cross exists for those who are not yet members.
2. We welcome and accept people wherever they are in their faith journey, and trust God to take them where He wants them to be, and on His timetable.
3. People want relationships, not religion.
4. We play to our strengths. We aren't interested in trying to be another church. We learn from others, but we adapt what we like to our situation. There isn't one single way that works, or one size fits all.
5. Just because we've always done things in a certain way is not, in and of itself, a sufficient reason for continuing to do it that way. God loves us just the way we are, but He doesn't expect us to stay that way.
6. God pays for what He orders.
7. With God, nothing is impossible.
Through prayer and discussion, the Vestry subsequently approved the following, which guides us as we mature as a church:
- To answer God's call to join with other Christians who above all love the Lord and desire to serve Him in service and outreach; to grow in faith by being in communion with one another through the worship and study of His Word.
- To be a neighborhood church that professes the love of Christ and shares it freely and openly with all; to provide a place of fun and fellowship, but also a place to be serious in order to grow together in the Lord to form a strong relationship that will last a lifetime - ours and His.
- To be a church where pastoral care, youth, and outreach are priority ministries; where children are happy and want to be; where the priest and people are charged with proclaiming God's Word to all, especially reaching those not affiliated with a church.
- To have music that is a blend of traditional hymns from sources such as the Episcopal Church's 1982 Hymnal and contemporary songs from various sources, including the hymn supplements "Wonder, Love and Praise” and Lift Every Voice & Sing"
- To have a church building that is bright, open, light-filled, and ideally sitting on a multi-acre plot of land where parking and growth would never be a problem.