Fall Book StudyFrom 6:30 to 8:30
- 910-799-6347 Call
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson is the story of Ida Mae Brandon Gladney, George Swanson Starling and Robert Joseph Pershing Foster, three people among the six million African-Americans who fled the South during what would become known as the Great Migration, a watershed in American history. This book interweaves their stories and those of others who made the journey with the larger forces and inner motivations that compelled them to flee, and with the challenges they confronted upon arrival in the New World.
This week's discussion will include pages 1-164, or if you use an e-reader, the sections entitled: In the Land of the Forefathers and Robert Joseph Pershing Foster. Please consider the following questions:
1. Compare and contrast the lives of Ida Mae, George, and Robert (Pershing).
2. What led to each of them leaving their homes?
3. What personal experiences come to mind when you read their stories?
4. What scripture or Bible stories can you relate to the Great Migration or to the lives of the three main characters?
5. What world current events are happening that are similar to the reading?
Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 856 0730 4057